Thursday 8 October 2009

Bit of positive

Today I met the colleague who I will be working with. She is enthusiastic and positive about what we have been doing so far. We will meet once a week until she really starts work on 1 November.
I'm also finding out about how much Braille stuff there is around here. I went to Guyana Society for the Blind today. It's a place where people do a bit cane seating or woodwork. They have a load of donated Braille books from Canada which are still in the boxes. Some are in French. They are dated 1988. They also have some antique Bibles and other books similarly ancient. Talking to a few people there made me realise the interest in learning more about Braille, but there is no one to teach them. So that all gives more backing to my idea of trying to set up a Braille printing machine here so that an unskilled user can produce Braille in Grade 1 at least for people to learn and practise the basics, along with a basic guide for teaching Grade 1.
I've got a trip set up for Saturday - Sunday to go to the only decent beach in Guyana, so I should be able to get a swim in the sea.
Cheers
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment