Monday 31 August 2009

First Day at Work

I am busy meeting my new colleagues at the National Centre for Educational Resource Development. I didn't realise that there are so many people working here, 75! Our room is quite cool and has a kettle and cups available, so that is good. The computers are still to arrive, so I am writing this in the IT room which has six computers with internet access and six which don't. We have been listening to at various meetings and introductory chats today, so we have a lot to process. But we have an event on Tuesday 8 September which is National Literacy Day. We hope to do add on something about Special Needs. They are putting out a radio promotion to suggest that everyone in offices all around the country stops work for 10 minutes to read a book at 1.30 pm. I have set up a meeting with someone who works in advocacy for Eyecare Guyana, so I will find out more about how it is for people with visual impairment in these parts. But my job is about all special needs not just VI.
I spent quite a lot of time at the weekend on two hobbies: cooking local recipes for VSO friends, and helping fix punctures on the very cheap bikes we bought last week. We are just off to complain at the bike shop, and try to get some better inner tubes.
cheers
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment