Monday 22 February 2010

Saturday was the children's parade for Mash (carnival) - there are competitions all around the regions and the winners get to come up to Georgetown, which is a big event for them. The parade was walking/dancing, usually with a wheeled float which someone is pulling along behind them. All with deafening music played over massive loudspeakers on lorries at regular intervals. I understand that the Mash parade on Tuesday will have more of the traditional steel bands which would be more my kind of thing. It is a public holiday anyway which will break up the week a bit! It is Independence Day, celebrating 40 years as a republic. Also next Monday is a Hindu holiday, Phagwah, so we get a day off for that as well. There is some Kathak dancing at the Indian Cultural Centre that I may get to.
I finished the next draft of my course on Friday, so that was good. I will get some more people to read it and give me feedback this week while I write the overview and get advice about the way of running it and assessing it.
My old pal at my morning swim came back from three months in Trinidad, and exclaimed _ so you're still here then! Well yes, I'm still here and feeling a lot happier with life generally, so that is good.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that things are looking up. Re the "just now" comment on the other post - that's pretty universal across to the globe, consider the use of "presently" in English.

    I hope you enjoy the parade tomorrow, and that the steel bands live up to your expectations"!

    ReplyDelete